Monday, May 28, 2012

Mushrooms, no not the magical kind!

Have you ever wondered, "What are mushrooms?" Well don't, because you won't want to eat them anymore! Just enjoy their beauty and amazing taste! Not only do mushrooms have amazing flavor, they are also a low-calorie food and a good source of vitamins.

Mushrooms come in all colors, shapes and sizes. They have been eaten for thousands of years and have even been used for medicinal purposes and in fairy tales and folklore. The ancient Egyptians believed mushrooms were the plant of immortality. In many other countries, it was believed mushrooms held super-human strength. Images of Superman are flying through my head right now! I have to find that mushrooms that will give me super-human strength!

France led the way in the cultivation of mushrooms. Mushrooms were grown and cultivated in caves near Paris. Imagine how mysterious these mushrooms looked growing in Parisian caves! Mushroom Cultivation didn't reach the United Stated until the late 1800s.

Today, mushrooms are sold in grocery stores and farmers market everywhere. I love going to my local Whole Foods and seeing all the varieties and textures of mushrooms. Mushrooms are amazing!

I just listed this amazing mushroom vase by German porcelain manufacturer, Hutschenreuther in my Etsy shop! It is extremely rare and exquisite.

I found this amazing picture on Wikipedia of a tree mushroom in Sweden that reminded me of the vase in my shop. It is best not to eat mushrooms you find in the wild, because some mushrooms are poisonous.

No comments:

Post a Comment